Have you survived a brain injury? Has a family member or friend survived a brain injury?
The Horton & Mendez Injury Attorneys have created a scholarship to assist students pursuing a college education after having been impacted by a traumatic brain injury.
Our founding partner, Nick Mendez, understands the impact of traumatic brain injuries on individuals and their families. Nick’s father, Bobby Mendez, suffered a severe traumatic brain injury when he slipped on a patch of ice outside his home and struck his head on the ground. He suffered several hemorrhages, hematomas, and was placed in an induced coma. After a month in the hospital and rounds of therapy, Bobby made a strong recovery and has returned to regular life. This scholarship is being offered in his honor and to help benefit those who have been impacted by these life-changing injuries.
To enter, the recipient must submit an essay or video answering the question:
How have you been impacted by a brain injury?
If you or a family member have suffered a brain injury, you may qualify for the Horton & Mendez Injury Attorneys Mendez Traumatic Brain Injury Scholarship. The scholarship will make one award of $2,500. The recipient will have been impacted by a brain injury and will be pursuing a college education.
Scholarship Award Details
- Amount: $2,500 — one scholarship to be awarded
- Who is Eligible: Anyone who has suffered from a traumatic brain injury; anyone whose family member has suffered from a traumatic brain injury. The person must be pursuing a college degree.
- How to Enter: Submit your essay and application materials to email@example.com
- Deadline: December 1, 2022
How to Enter
Submit the following to the application email by the application deadline:
- An essay (written or video) that answers the question, How have you been impacted by a brain injury? There is no minimum or maximum length.
- Your personal information including your full name, phone number, mailing address, and email address. Make sure this information is accurate because we’ll use it to contact you if you win.
- Where you attend or plan to attend college and your program of study.
- Anything else you would like us to know, like your academic record, community involvement, or recommendations. Help us understand your full story and how the scholarship would help you reach your goals.
- Proof that a traumatic brain injury has impacted you or your family. A medical or hospital record will suffice.
- If you’re under 18, a signed statement from a parent or guardian giving you permission to apply for the scholarship.
Financial Aid for Traumatic Brain Injury
The Mendez Traumatic Brain Injury Scholarship provides a one-time scholarship award to an individual or family member of an individual who has suffered from brain trauma. In addition to providing financial aid for the recipient, the award aims to raise awareness of the challenges of brain injury survivors and honor the outstanding accomplishments of those who persevere after suffering an injury.
Scholarship for Brain Trauma and Concussion Survivors
The Horton & Mendez Injury Attorneys know the impact a traumatic brain injury can have on a person and the entire family. They are a law firm of experienced personal injury lawyers serving victims, including brain trauma survivors.
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury through a car accident, slip and fall, premises liability, defective product, medical malpractice, or other cause, their attorneys can represent you in pursuing your legal rights and financial compensation. Claiming compensation is about justice, accountability, and helping you access the resources you need to live well following a traumatic brain injury.
To the Horton & Mendez personal injury team, brain injuries are personal. Attorney Nick Mendez’s father suffered from a brain injury. Attorney Mendez saw first-hand how a brain injury impacts the victim and their entire family. By creating this scholarship, his goal is to honor his father and the many families living with the effects of traumatic brain injury each day.
Terms and Conditions
The recipient will be chosen based on all the application materials submitted. Applying for the scholarship does not guarantee that you will win. The decisions of the application committee are final.
You must be a legal resident of the United States to enter. If selected, you agree to allow Horton & Mendez Injury Attorneys to share your name and scholarship essay and use them in promotional materials. You may be required to provide a photograph to use in press releases and other media. You further agree to cooperate with the scholarship committee to finalize the award, including communication and documentation with the college you attend.
After the selection of the recipient, notification will be made by phone, mail, or email. The recipient will have three days to acknowledge receipt of the award before an alternate recipient may be selected. Funds must be used to pay tuition and/or school fees.
About Horton & Mendez Injury Attorneys
Horton & Mendez is a plaintiff’s injury law firm located in Wilmington, North Carolina. The firm works aggressively to represent the interests of the public, including through legal advocacy and community involvement. The law firm offers free consultations on personal injury matters and experienced, tailored representation for injury victims, including in traumatic brain injury claims.