When you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you are placing a great deal of trust in your lawyer. It is better to hire an attorney who you know has gotten results for injured clients like you. That is exactly what we have done at Horton & Mendez, obtaining settlements for multiple motorcycle accident clients in Jacksonville in 2023. Let us work to do the same for you. Our Jacksonville motorcycle accident lawyers know the stakes that are involved and make your cause our own. Reach out to us today for a free consultation to discuss your case and begin the legal process.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Jacksonville, NC
A motorcycle accident can happen in a brief instant and can change the course of your life. All it takes is one momentary error by a driver who was not paying attention or was taking chances with your life to cause you serious injuries.
Here are common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted drivers who are not looking at the road
- Tailgating motorists who get too close to your motorcycle
- Speeding drivers who lose control of their car or cannot avoid a crash
- Careless drivers who do not check their blind spots before changing lanes
The Differences Between Car Accidents and Motorcycle Accidents
Any type of motor vehicle crash can cause serious injuries. First, we will start with what these accidents have in common — in both, you are dealing with an insurance company whose purpose may be to hinder you and give you as little as possible for your claim, even if it means that they offer you nothing at all.
The major differences between car and motorcycle accident cases are:
- Motorcycle accident injuries tend to be more severe because the biker will sustain direct impact with the other vehicle or the ground.
- Motorcyclists are 18 times more likely to die in an accident than a passenger car driver.
- Because motorcycle accident injuries are more serious, these cases tend to be worth more.
- Insurance companies have a natural bias against motorcyclists out of their own financial self-interest. They know they will need to pay more, so they try whatever they can to escape responsibility.
The other thing that does not change in your motorcycle accident case is our determination to fight for you at every turn when the insurance company tries to block your path to full compensation.
Proving Fault in a Motorcycle Accident Case
In order to get any compensation in a motorcycle accident case, you must prove that someone else was to blame for your injuries. You must meet your own burden of proof before the insurance company will even make you a settlement offer. You may know exactly what happened, but you need more than just your word to persuade the insurance company or a jury.
In a motorcycle accident case, your burden of proof is showing your case by a preponderance of the evidence. You show mist that it was more likely than not that the other party was responsible for the accident that caused your injuries. Along the way, you must overcome the insurance company’s attempts to blame the accident on you. They know that North Carolina law bars a personal injury recovery when you were even partially responsible for the accident.
Your lawyer will investigate the crash as soon as they are hired for your case. Along the way, they will collect evidence that you need to establish your entitlement to damages. You do not have a lot of time to act before this evidence is lost to you permanently.
Damages in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Your motorcycle accident damages may include:
- Medical costs
- Property damage
- Lost wages for any time missed from work or diminution in your earnings capacity
- Pain and suffering for the ordeal that you are enduring and will go through in the future
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
If a loved one died in a motorcycle accident, your family would be entitled to a separate set of damages that reflect your own loss, in addition to the harm that your loved one suffered before they died.
You need to negotiate with the insurance company from start to finish. They will not make things easy for you, even though your family is going through a difficult time. It is never easy to deal with the insurance company, but we will do it on your behalf.
It is up to you to maximize your damages in a motorcycle accident case. The first step is knowing how much your case is worth. There are numerous elements of your damages that may seem subjective, giving the insurance company a chance to take money out of your pocket.
Our experienced Jacksonville injury attorneys have the knowledge to estimate the value of your case. We have the toughness to fight for you to get every dollar you deserve
Injured motorcyclists in Jacksonville know that they can turn to Horton & Mendez in their time of need. We have stood up for motorcyclists since the day we were founded. In 2023 alone, we have successfully settled three motorcycle accident cases. We can bring the same tenacious and dedicated legal representation to your case. Our reviews show that our clients are satisfied with both our work and our service.
How Horton & Mendez Helps You After a Motorcycle Crash
Here is how our Jacksonville injury lawyers will help you in your motorcycle accident case:
- We will assemble the case necessary to meet your burden of proof after performing a full investigation of the accident.
- We will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf, keeping them from trying to contact and pressure you.
- We estimate the value of your damages after reviewing your medical records and other documentation that you provided us.
- We fight hard on your behalf every step of the way, pushing the insurance company to do better.
Motorcycle Accident Case FAQs
How long will it take for me to get a check for my motorcycle accident injuries?
The timing depends on your own specific case. Usually, it will take a considerable amount of time to be paid, which can be from 6-18 months.
Will my case settle or go to trial?
Everything depends on the strategy that your lawyer thinks is best and how reasonable the insurance company is acting. Most motorcycle accident cases will reach a settlement at some point.
How much does legal representation cost in a motorcycle accident case?
We are only paid for our services at the time that you receive money for your injuries. Then, we receive a percentage of the proceeds, as outlined in the representation agreement.
Contact a Jacksonville, NC Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
You do not have to be facing the legal process alone, nor should you even consider doing so. Otherwise, you would be costing yourself money that you will need in the future.
The Jacksonville motorcycle attorneys at Horton & Mendez have delivered for motorcyclists across North Carolina, and we can devote all of our efforts to delivering for you. All you need to do is reach out to us to schedule a free initial consultation. You should do it as soon as possible after your accident, knowing that the legal process may not wait for you. Message us online or call us today at 910-405-7751 to speak with an attorney.