Devlin is an accomplished trial lawyer who believes injury victims deserve a strong voice to seek justice on their behalf. He understands the impact that a serious injury or injustice can have on injured people and their families. Devlin will make sure the insurance company, judge, and jury understands that impact as well.
Several years of Devlin’s career were spent defending big corporations and insurance companies in lawsuits. He knows the tactics they will try in order to avoid being held responsible. This experience gives Devlin the knowledge to know just how to deal with insurance companies and their lawyers. No stranger to the courtroom, Devlin has tried numerous cases to jury verdicts in state and federal court on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants.
Devlin received his law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. As an undergraduate at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Devlin worked for the United States Attorney’s Office where he had the opportunity to work on numerous trial teams with federal prosecutors. Devlin’s exposure to the courtroom with the U.S. Attorney’s Office made him know he wanted to help people by being their voice for justice when it matters most.
Outside of advocating for his clients, Devlin enjoys duck hunting, fishing, surfing, long-distance running, and cheering on the North Carolina Tar Heels.
Represented many national and specialty insurance groups and companies, small and large businesses including Fortune 500 corporations, municipalities, and public utility companies.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
New Hanover County Bar Association
Selected to the Rising Stars list, published nationwide in Super Lawyers® Magazines, in 2020 for his civil litigation defense work.
Cases or matters referenced are for illustrative purposes only, and do not represent the lawyer’s or law firm’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicted based upon a lawyer’s or law firm’s past results. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Obtained a verdict of no negligence in Bladen County for a public utility client following a multiple week trial in a case where Plaintiff alleged over $600,000.00 in property damages and business losses.
- Represented a plaintiff-corporation in a breach of contract case where a New Hanover County jury awarded nearly all the client’s claimed damages. The client’s litigation costs and attorney fees were also awarded.
- Received a defense verdict of contributory negligence for a client in an automobile negligence case tried before a jury in Beaufort County.
- Defended a case of clear liability in Cumberland County where damages were claimed in excess of $120,000.00; the jury returned a verdict of less than 10% of the claimed damages. The jury’s award was less than the Defendant’s offer of judgment.
- On a Rule 12 Motion to Dismiss, obtained an order dismissing all claims against a local municipality in an action filed in federal court.
- Obtained summary judgment on §1983 claims in favor of a law enforcement officer in federal court.
- Represented a plaintiff-corporation at trial where the court awarded the entirety of plaintiff’s damages resulting from a breach of contract.